A BRIEF HISTORY
The concept of local resource conservation districts arose in the 1930's in response to the ecologically disastrous "Dust Bowl" days, which blackened the skies and created severe and sustained drought, soil erosion and extensive flooding. The Gunnison Conservation District was chartered in 1956, and is among more than 3,000 districts in the United States. The Gunnison District encompasses most of Gunnison County, the northwestern 1/3 of Saguache County, and the northern 1/3 of Hinsdale County, comprising approx. 2,127,000 acres of private, state and federal lands. The GCD is the local unit of government through which the Natural Resource Conservation Service (NRCS) administers technical assistance and facilitates cost-share programs to local ranchers and landowners. The GCD exists for the sole purpose of promoting and facilitating soil, water, and wildlife conservation, management, and improvement practices on private land in the Gunnison Basin area.
The Gunnison Conservation District (GCD) is a local grassroots organization created to address conservation concerns of landowners in the District. We encourage the protection and enhancement of natural resources and work extensively with our partners with common objectives.